Wildfire short-circuit Fusion for 3-2 win

West Coast Wildfire beat out Livermore Fusion in a Norcal Premier Champions League match over the weekend.  Wildfire outscored and outplayed Fusion to claim a 3-2 victory and bragging rights.

In a Friday Night Lights Livermore Derby style soccer match, West Coast Wildfire U17 girls faced cross-town rival, Fusion in a Norcal Premier Champions League Match.   Within the first 10 minutes, Fusion scored from a corner kick putting them ahead 1-0.  But West Coast answered a few minutes later from a long kick from Goal Keeper, Mackenzie Long who connected to Attacking-mid, Rachel McCarthy.  McCarthy dribble down the right and maneuvered around the last defender to fire a shot into the top corner of Fusion net.   Halftime came with the match tied 1-1.

Some minor adjustment were made by West Coast coach Troy Dayak and within a few minutes of the start of the second half, Wildfire went on the attack and was given a corner kick.  McCarthy delivered a perfectly placed kick into the box where Wildfire’s Sierra Martin connected to volley a shot that hit the crossbar and fell into the Fusion goal.  Wildfire was now up 2-1.  Minutes later, West Coast went on the attack again and McCarthy recorded her second goal of the match giving Wildfire a 3-1 lead.

A hard collision occurred in Fusion half of the field and the referee decided to give west goal scorer a straight red card putting west coast down a man for the next 30 min. West Coast held strong with only 10 players.  The referee then decided to add 15 minutes of overtime for the second half and late in the match an unusual drop ball penalty was awarded to Fusion just outside the West Coast 18 yard box.  The mysterious kick was converted to a goal and the match was now a 3-2 competition.  Well into the added 15 minutes of injury time the referee gave fusion one last attempt to tie up the match from a corner kick.  But it wasn’t enough and the match ended with a West Coast Wildfire 3-2 victory