WCS U19 Wild battle to Surf Cup semis

The West Coast Wild U19 girls tackled some big waves at the 2017 Surf Cup college showcase to make it to the semi-finals.  The Wild went 2-1-1 and looked strong against other top ranked teams.  Over 75 college coaches came to watch the Wild over the three day tournament.


Among a field of 16 teams from all over the country, the West Coast Wild U19 team made their presence known by making to the semi-finals of the prestigious Surf Cup.  In the first game of the showcase-style tournament, the Wild faced a top ranked ECNL team from Oregon.  Both teams were physically matched but the Wild had the edge with a solid defense. At the half, the game remained 0-0.  Mid-way through the second half, Wild’s Forward, Kalie Haskins found a scoring opportunity from the 18’.  The Wild moved ahead 1-0 and recorded their first victory.


In the second match, the Wild faced a local Bay Area competitor, Santa Clara Sporting.  Several offensive attacks were made by West Coast but the ball could not find the net.  The match ended in a 0-0 tie.


In a must win to move on situation, the Wild showed up for game 3 determined to get a victory.  The Wild faced one of the toughest Southern California teams, the Pateadores.  Again, the Wild’s defense and midfield held the Pateadores for very few offensive plays.  Finally, late in the second, Wild’s Briana Tores found a hole in the Pateadore defense and snuck a shot past the goalie and into the net.  The Wild moved ahead 1-0 and claimed the victory and a ticket to the semi-finals.


In the semi-final match, the Wild faced a formidable opponent from Washington, the Pacific Northwest ’99.  At 25 minutes into the first half, Pacific Northwest fired a long shot from mid-field that cleared the reach of Wild’s Keeper, Jen Cavisto.  Norwest moved ahead 1-0.  Midway into the second, the Wild answered with a header goal from Callie Crain.  With 10 minutes left in the match, a slide tackle in the box resulted in a penalty kick awarded to Northwest and a second goal for the Washington team.  Determined not to let this get away, the Wild went on a full-blown offensive attack.  Even with 12 shots on goal in 8 minutes, the Wild could not find the net and match ended with Pacific Northwest winning 2-1.